Friday, May 29, 2009

movie ratings

question: how can the following movies all be rated PG?
-"Up" A Pixar cartoon about a retired balloon salesman who ties a bazillion balloons to his house to go to south america...or something like that.

-"Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" Ben Stiller returns as Larry Daley, the unfortunate night watchman who continues to encounter living and breathing museum exhibits.

-"Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince" Voldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was

Don't movie makers make G movies any more? I remember when cartoons were G. Now the only G i have heard of recently is the "Hannah Montana" movie...seriously?

I'm glad that there aren't as many R-rated movies right now, but have we lowered the standards on what makes a PG-13 movie..."Terminator", "State of Play", "Angels & Demons", "X-men originals: wolverine"?

This has just been on my mind lately and i thought i'd share.

2 comments:

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

I agree that the movie rating system is really messed up. I do not look forward to when the kids are older and wanting to watch a lot of movies. We saw Angels and Demons and I commented to Sam that I thought it should be R because of some pretty graphic and violent deaths. But, there was almost no cussing and no sex or nudity so I guess that kept it a PG-13.

Sarah said...

Yes, I feel like a movie rating is kind of a shot in the dark and barely helpful. I've always been confused at how topless women can show up in a PG-13 movie. Really? Thirteen is old enough for that? I wish they would redo the system to give a more specific indication of WHAT is in the movie (violence, sex, nudity, swearing, whatnot).