Saturday, April 26, 2008

Ignorance is Bliss

I didn't use to eat at fast food restaurants (except for a few months after I got married, during the Monopoly game at McDonalds...i was so close to winning, just needed Boardwalk. =)).
When I was pregnant last spring and summer with Price I started the fast food habit. Quade had never eaten at McDonalds until I stopped there after a visit to the zoo. When we stopped I ordered a salad and water for myself and the happy meal with chicken nuggets, apples and juice for Quade.

Flash forward a year...now I order combo meal #7 (breaded chix sandwich, fries and dr. pepper) for myself and a happy meal with a hamburger, fries and chocolate milk for Quade.

The transition to the "naughty choices" was a gradual one guided by my inner cravings. Amazingly I had convinced myself with each step on the downward spiral that it isn't "that" bad. I mean Quade does need to eat more protein and fries are basically a vegetable and chocolate milk does provide calcium...right?

UNTIL I just read an article entitled "Break the Fast-Food Habit". I wish I could unread what i read and ignorantly enjoy my McDonald's fries, my Wendy's frosty and my Chick-fil-a chix sandwich.

I don't know if i can stop cold turkey (note the food reference), but i do think i am going to put the extra effort and pack a lunch more often. I basically need to "detox" my body so that i don't crave the combination of fat and sugar...yummy! (this is going to be difficult).

Maybe there is a "FFA" meeting i could join..."Hi my name is Heather MacFadyen and I'm a Fast-food-aholic". I think the meeting may be filled with other stay-at-home moms and parents who enjoy the convenience that fast-food provides. (i'll elaborate more on this in a minute)

Yes, I have seen "Super Size Me" and yes I had forgotten all the horrible things that had happened to Morgan Spurlock over his monthlong experiment eating only McDonalds. Unfortunately after reading this article...all the guilt is back!

I asked myself, if it's such "bad food" why do i go?
1) i think it taste delicious and i actually do have cravings for it.
2) it's convenient on many levels (don't have to pack food ahead of time, don't have to get the boys out of the car if we need to eat and we don't have much time)
3) quade will eat a lot of food (getting a toddler to eat is difficult sometimes)
4) for playdates it's nice to have the kids play in the play area while the mommies chat

How am i going to stop eating fast-food?
1) think ahead and buy things at the grocery store that are easy to pack in a lunch
2) convince all my mommy friends to join me in the fast-food ban so that we can have picnics at the park or playground or museum instead of going out for lunch
3) write a blog about it so i have MAJOR accountability
4) realize that even if quade eats a lot of food it's low in nutrition and it would be better for him to eat less calories with high nutrition (fruit/veggies) than lots of low-nutrient, high caloric food.

So, are you on board?

If ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power...you are probably feeling powerfully, unhappy. For that i am glad and sorry. =)

5 comments:

Holly Ramsey said...

Oh NOOOO! I like the old #7 Heather I used to know. And THANK YOU for not sharing the details of what you read...The cheeseburger meal #2 that I order has less than half the fat of one of the "big" burgers if you're ever desperate.

Erin said...

I'm on board girl! You've seen this post-baby gut I've got!

But is Chick-fil-A really that bad??? I don't know if I can give it up!!!

Christina said...

hum, i have recently had a craving for breakfast at mcdonalds. i will never give up sonic grilled cheese. it can't be that can it?

Misty said...

i wish healthy food was convenience food, too! the only perk of having a child with food allergies is that you really can't do many fast foods. i read fast food nation a few years ago and swore off eating it EVER again...well, i've eaten it since. i agree that it's addictive!

Kim Hill said...

Having lived in Tanzania without fast food for 4 years now, I have to say that the whole concept sounds DIVINE! To imagine just running up to a restaurant and having tasty food fast that a toddler will eat sounds like a luxury. I'm going to have to be SO careful when we come back on furlough. Yikes.