Monday, May 28, 2007

Reliable transportation?

Not many tourists opt to rent a car and drive themselves around the country. However, Bruce figured since he's driven in 3rd world countries, he could handle it. So we got a car from Hertz. In the U.S. Hertz is viewed a respectable rental option, hmmm...not so much in Costa Rica. Oh, they still had the trademark yellow colored marketing strategy (including fake yellow lilies and yellow cellophane candies), but that's where the similarities ended.

We drove in "luxury" in our manual, 4x4 (quatro a quatro), DAIHATSU! However, this was no ordinary diahatsu...it had zero suspension and amazing dents and scratches. Here are pictures of our dear friend:


Here's a memorable quote from the trip...after driving for an hour on winding, ascending/descending, bumpy roads (after a four hour flight), my belly was contracting painfully and i was trying to be subtle about my desire to stop for a little while. I pointed out another place we could pull-over when Bruce said, "i'll pull over if there's a reason". I responded in a very angry, illogical, pregnant way: "If you don't want your son to die you'd better pull-over now!". Needless to say, he immediately turned that car off the road and i got out to stretch and get a break from the trauma. When we were back on the road it was less than 2 km when the bumpy road ended and we had smooth sailing to our destination.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I am glad to know that I am not alone in the pregnancy responses! (I just hope I can control what I say after the baby gets here, because I won't be able to use it as an excuse soon!) I guess there is always the post-partum good stuff then.
Lauren

The Fanks said...

When I was in Costa Rica one summer working on my Spanish degree, a couple of my friends decided to rent a car like yours here. They had a flat tire and then after a couple more miles, their spare blew out as well.

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

I have driven many an odd, small car in foreign countries. It is always an adventure. The best is driving a stickshift on the "wrong" side of the road.